|Wellington Valley (1832-1843)||
Wellington Valley was the first mission in Australia to employ ordained Germans. It was founded by the Anglican Church Missionary Society in 1832 with the financial support of the NSW Colonial Government. Unfortunately, its history was marred by internal strife, first between the Englishman William Watson and his co-labourer Johann Handt, and then between Watson and Handt's successor, Jakob (James) Günther. After Watson was dismissed from Wellington Valley in 1840, he and his wife began a new, rival mission nearby, known as Apsley. The original mission closed in 1843 and is generally considered to have been a complete failure, since it made no lasting conversions. Handt and Günther remained in Australia, Handt working for a time as a missionary and chaplain in Moreton Bay, and Günther becoming a parish priest.