South Australia Missions with German speakers

Name Abstract
Encounter Bay (1840-1848)
Killalpaninna
Piltawodli Native Location (1838-1845)

The first patch of land reserved for Kaurna people in Adelaide in 1837, where Dresden-trained missionaries (1838-1845) established a school taught in Kaurna and recorded the language sufficiently to afford a Kaurna language revival in the 21st century.

Port Lincoln (1840-1853)
Port Lincoln (1843-1852)

Several mission attempts were located at Port Lincoln - Schürmann’s farm at Happy Valley (1843-1845), Schürman’s Barngarla school at Walalla, North Shields (1850-1852), and the Anglican farm and school at Poonindie (1850- 1875).

Yorke Peninsula (Point Pearce) (1867-1915)

A citizen initiative responding to mining around Port Pirie, established by Moravian Pastor Julius Kühn, and later involving Francis Gillen. This mission achieved what many others aspired - to engage Aboriginal people in productive work with a financial benefit.