- State by State
- About Us
- German Missionaries in Australia - A web-directory of intercultural encounters
More than fifty years after the Zion Hill missionaries tried to emulate the ‘Moravian model’, the first Moravian mission in Queensland was established at Mapoon. Its success was largely due to the 28-year staying power of its first missionary, Nikolaus Hey, who implemented distinctly Moravian regimes and seeded a string of missions along the east coast of Cape York Peninsula.
|Mari Yamba (1887-1902)||
The 15-year history of Mari Yamba mission has all the appearance of an ill-conceived and poorly managed project, resulting in the forced displacement of Aboriginal people from their homelands. Its establishment by the Hermannsburg-leaning Lutheran synod of Queensland (UGSLSQ) had more to do with the competition and splintering between various Lutheran synods than with an evangelical spirit, and foundered mainly on the particularly dogmatic, bureaucratic and authoritarian stance of Hermannsburg Lutherans. Like several other missions, it quickly outlived its historical position at the frontier of settlement causing the Queensland government to withdraw its support. The Mari Yamba mission residents were relocated to Cape Bedford mission in 1902. Mari Yamba itself has received very little historical attention. It was located near the present day Proserpine and Andromache State Forests.
|Missionaries of the Sacred Heart (MSC)||
The MSC had many German-speaking missionaries in Papua New Guinea, but few in Australia besides Bishop Gsell.
|Nerang Creek (1869-1878)||
The 'Aboriginal Industrial Mission Reserve' at Nerang Creek was a private initiative of Pastor Johann Gottfried Haussmann in association with his nearby Bethesda Mission on the Albert River. It, too was an attempt to start a Gossner-type mission in a funding vacuum. It received much criticism and little support, during a period when there were no other mission efforts in Queensland.